Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine for IUI
What is IUI
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a form of assisted conception.
Sperm that have been washed and concentrated are placed directly in your uterus around the time your ovary releases one or more eggs to be fertilized.
IUI can be effective treatment for infertility of some causes of infertility in women under age 41 including:
- Infertility due to ovulation problems
- Unexplained infertility
- Mild male factor infertility
- Infertility caused by mild endometriosis
IUI success rates vary depending on your age. Below are IUI success rates after one IUI cycle (per cycle), by age:
- Under 35: 10 to 20 percent chance of IUI pregnancy success
- Between 35 and 40: 10 percent chance of IUI pregnancy success
- Women 40 and above: 5 percent chance of IUI pregnancy success
In a review of studies on IUI and unexplained infertility, just 4% of women got pregnant per cycle without fertility drugs (mostly Clomid), and 8% to 17% got pregnant when fertility drugs and IUI were combined.
Acupuncture for IUI
In traditional Chinese medicine's point of view, blockage of energy and blood flow, and unbalance of Yin and Yang can lead to physical and emotional illnesses, including fertility issues. Acupuncture helps to unblock the flow of energy and blood, and regulate the Yin-Yang balance.
In Western medicine's point of view, there have been several researches for acupuncture and fertility done.
Here are possible benefits of acupuncture according to the researches:
- Increasing blood flow to the uterus, leading to an improved endometrial lining
- Regulation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone, which in turn could help regulate ovulation
- Supporting follicle growth and maturity
- Enhancing the quality of the endometrium
- Enhancing endometrial receptivity
- Calming the mind
- Relaxing the client
Chinese Herbal Medicine for IUI
Chinese herbal medicines help to regulate the menstrual cycle, increase blood flow to the uterus and increase the thickness of the uterine lining to improve implantation rates, improve egg quantity and quality, and improve sperm production, motility and morphology to aid in the natural fertilization process during IUI.
We prescribe granule herbal medicines that are easy to take.
Each herbal medicine prescriptions are composed of many single herbs (normally 10 or more) that are tailored to your conditions.
Related researches regarding with acupuncture and herbal medicine for IUI and ovulation
Acupuncture and Chinese herbal treatment for women undergoing intrauterine insemination
Keren Sela, et al. 2011
Oocyte quality improvement using a herbal medicine comprising 7 crude drugs
Taketo Inoue, et al. 2013