Acupuncture for IVF
IVF and Acupuncture
Acupuncture, frequently combined with Chinese herbal medicine, has been used for long time to treat infertility.
A great of medical research has examined the effectiveness of acupuncture for IVF.
Recent studies in Denmark, Germany and Australia have shown that acupuncture before and after embryo transfer improved the success rate compared to those not having acupuncture (see graph right).
Studies indicated that acupuncture before and after embryo transfer can:
1. Relax the patient and decrease their stress
2. Prevent the uterus from contracting
3. Lessen the side effects of drugs used in IVF
4. Strengthen the immune system
5. Decrease chances of miscarriage
How many sessions of Acpuncture?
It is better to start acupuncture treatment at least three cycles before starting procedure IVF, for preparation of pregnancy. During IVF cycle, acupuncture before egg pick up, and before and after embryo transfer would be recommended.